Friday, March 9, 2012

Some Delicious Recipes

I have to start by saying sorry for not updating with my organizing progress. My camera broke and without pictures how boring of a post to just read. I will update with what I can soon though in a not-so-boring way if I can. I wanted to share some of these healthy recipes I have tried recently. Please leave a comment with any suggestions on how to make it healthier.

1. Pinapple Carrot Muffins
2. Tortilla Lasagna
3. Carrot and Grapefruit Smoothie

PINEAPPLE CARROT MUFFINS
Serves 12, 1 muffin per serving
Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time" 20-25 min.
Calories:160 From Fat: 50 Sodium: 160mg Sugar: 16g Protein: 2g

1 medium carrot (shredded)
1 cup canned crushed pineapple with juice
5 T canola oil
1/4 C cold water
1 TB white distilled vinegar
1.5 C whole-wheat flour
3/4 C light brown sugar (packed)
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
pinch of ground nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, or apple pie spice
optional
.5 C chooped walnuts
.5 C raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Rinse and peel carrot. Shred with a grater.
3. In a medium bowl, add pineapple with juice, oil, water, vinegar, and shredded carrot. Use a fork to combine.
4. In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Blend well with fork.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
6. If using walnuts or raisins, gently stir in now.
7. Coat muffin pan with oil. Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full with batter. Bake on middle rack of oven until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Credit for recipe goes to Chef Bob Casey in Boston, Mass. from my Cooking Matters for Adults book.

:::Tips:::
Double recipe and freeze extra for up to 2 weeks. Set out in a air tight container overnight for a great grab-and-go breakfast int he morning.
To make a cream cheese frosting: Mix 4 T soft cream cheese, 2/3 C yogurt, and 1-2 t honey until smooth and creamy.
Add in or substitue your favorites. Fresh pineapple, fiber cereal added at the end (about .5-1 C) or anything else you desire. Please share your ideas!
I prefer olive oil over canola and honey for the sugar.

These turned out awesome! My 3 kids and my husband loved them and my daughter and I were the only ones to like the frosting. I used plain yogurt and like the tang with my sweet muffin. If you don't like plain yogurt maybe try vanilla or any flavor you like. The kids helped make these and it was very easy for us all!

TORTILLA LASAGNA (BUDIN AZTECA)
Serves 10, 1/10 of lasagna per serving
Prep time: 20 min. Cook time: 1 hour and 10 min.
Calories: 170 From fat: 50 Sodium 420mg Sugar: 4g Protein: 7g

1 medium yellow onion
3 medium cloves garlic
4oz. mushrooms
1 medium green bell pepper
2 bunches of spinach
1 medium sweet potato (shredded)
4oz. white cheddar cheese
9 (6-in) corn or whole wheat tortillas
1 T canola oil
1 t oregano
5 oz Queso Fresco or Feta cheese
1 (10 oz) can green chile or enchilada sauce

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Peel, rinse, and chop onion. Peel and mince garlic.
3. Cut mushrooms to slices
4. Rinse pepper and remove core and seeds. Cut into thin strips
5. Rinse spinach and tear and choop into pieces.
6. Rinse, peel and shred sweet potato.
7. Grate cheese
8. Tear tortilla in half.
9. In large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add onions. Cook until transparent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, muchsrooms, bell pepper, and oregano. Raise heat to high. Stir in shredded sweet potato. Cook until soft, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in spinach. Cover and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
10. In medium bowl mix cheeses.
11. Oil the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Layer 9 tortilla halves over the bottom, with the flat edges against the side of the dish. Cover the tortillas with 1/2 the cooked vegies, drizzle 1/2 the enchilada saauce and sprinkle 1/2 the cheese on thop. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
12. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
13. Bake about 40 minutes, remove foil and continue baking until cheese on top is lightly browned (about 10 minutes).

Credit for recipe goes to Chef Dudley Nieto in Chicago, Ill. from my Cooking Matters for Adults book.

:::TIPS:::
Add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper when cooking vegies for a spicer dish.
Use any veggies you want in it including any leftovers in the fridge so they don't go to waste.
Use or create any sauce you want.
Add in a protein like chicken or beans.
If you dont have foil cover with a cookie sheet.
I make my own tortillas.

I LOVED this but the kids didn't much. I made one half with lots of sauce and the other with just a touch and it was still pretty spicy for them. Hubby liked it but hates sweet potato and said he could taste it. I couldn't taste it but I do like them so maybe thats why. Changes I made were how I sauced it like above, adding about 1 C. of black beans and I left my sweet potato skin on it. Hope you enjoy and share your thoughts!

CARROT AND GRAPEFRUIT SMOOTHIE
Makes about 18-20 oz.

1 large grapefruit (flesh and juice)
.5 C carrot juice
1 frozen banana
.5 C blueberries
.5C frozen mixed strawberries and raspberries
1 T. flax oil

1. Add all ingrediants to blender starting with liquids.
2. Blend until well mixed
3. Pour and enjoy.

:::TIPS:::
I like to freeze almost all of my fruit but mostly bananas! They create a smoother, thicker smoothie. The riper the banana when frozen the better. Just peel and freeze in a bag or container. Same for other fruit. Rinse, lay flat on cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen add to bag or container and lable.
Add in anything you would like and if too thick add a little more liquid a splash at a time.
As always please comment with your thoughts:)

No comments:

Post a Comment